Philipp Hoschka: checking prior art in timed text

FYI.

------- Forwarded Message

Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 16:40:56 +0100
From: Philipp Hoschka <ph@w3.org>
To: dd@w3.org, tmichel@w3.org, jbrewer@w3.org
Subject: checking prior art in timed text

Here's one:

http://lithpc17.epfl.ch/demos/demos.html

"StlML is an application which allows the translation of teletext
subtitle information from the EBU binary format into an XML format."

So there is an EBU standard, alas binary.

Question is whether they're not working on an XML-based version,
for example.

There may be ongoing work in other TV-related standards bodies
on that as well - my guess is that hasn't been checked, but maybe
we already have experts in the task force.

(found this doing a google search on "xml subtitles" -
there are also various folks that have thought about doing
XML-based subtitling for mp3/vorbis audi files, but I didn't
find something that could be called a "standard" yet).

So one of the task of the task force should probably be to
do a study of existing work in subtiteling standards.

------- End of Forwarded Message