HTTP proxy vs client identity

From: Magnus Henoch <magnus@erlang-consulting.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 15:45:27 +0000
To: www-talk@w3.org
Hi,

I'm writing an HTTP proxy.  Thus I'm thinking about an interesting
protocol question: if two clients each send a request through the same
proxy to the same origin server, is the proxy allowed to open a single
connection to the origin server, and forward the two requests by
pipelining?  I imagine that a server might consider the two requests to
come from the same client, as they arrived by the same connection.

As far as I can tell from the HTTP 1.1 spec, a server may not make such
an assumption.  Is that correct?  Are there examples of servers that do
that anyway?

--
Magnus Henoch, magnus@erlang-consulting.com
Erlang Training and Consulting