Re: complexity (was: Re: XHTML and RDF)

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 16:33:50 +0000 (UTC)
To: Orion Adrian <oadrian@hotmail.com>
Cc: www-talk@w3.org

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004, Orion Adrian wrote:

> Can you give an example of how doing it X's way is going to be Z out of
> business? You mentioned this, but I fail to see how a construct in a
> language is going to harm to Z?

Sure. Company Z is writing software for a device with limited features, on
a system which has built-in JavaScript support, but little else, and
company X wants the technology to use XPath and XMLSchema, instead of
JavaScript, for its dependency tracking.

There is no way to implement XPath and XMLSchema in the device Z is
targetting. Thus, if X gets its way, Z cannot use the technology.