HTTP 1.1 Pipelining

From: Tim.Greenwald <tim.greenwald@wamu.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 11:47:54 -0500
To: Www-Talk <www-talk@w3.org>

I would be interested in comments regarding the trade-off of using
pipelining. My thoughts on this are that it is great because it relieves the
burden on the server of having to open a TCP connection for each request for
an object but the trade-off is that the requests have to be sent/received in
order. This seems to me to override the benefits of multi-threading. If I
was to send multiple GETs at the same time I would open multiple connections
but the requests could be processed concurrently.

Regards,
Tim Greenwald
Washington Mutual AQM Team

"You can't manage what your not measuring"