Re: URL Naming and DNS...

From: Jonas Jørgensen <jonasj@jonasj.dk>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 16:07:53 +0200
To: Ranjit Singh Sandhu <ranjitsinghs@mascon.co.in>
Cc: "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@over-yonder.net>, www-talk@w3.org

Ranjit Singh Sandhu wrote:
> Thank you Matthew and Jones...
>
> On a layman's description... If I write the following, is it correct?
>
> take it this way -- client registers a domain name -> this is done by the
> domain name registrar --> there are DNS servers all around the world, which
> are synchronised within 48 hours of registering the domain name (url) -->
> so, each DNS server has two entries :: one for URL name and the other for
> the pointing IP address --> Now, to add this record in the DNS server you
> need to add "A" record. ("A" record is the type of record in DNS server
> entry.. according to my knowledge..) --> for a particular ip say,
> 12.12.12.12 the "A" record entry says http://www.somesite.com  --> IF this
> is the only entry in the DNS, then the client browser won't be able to
> display something like http://somesite.com --> why?? bcoz' http://abcd
> means referring to a Machine (named abcd) that uses http as the protocol to
> get/transfer data... --> so, in order for the browsers to be able to access
> http://somesite.com ONE MORE "A" record has to be added (and this would be
> 12.12.12.12 "A" http://somesite.com , in our case). --> this could also be
> done by the DNS administrator using ALIASES...
>
> Please correct, if I am wrong..

Somewhat correct, but you've got it kinda upside down. The A record
applies to the host name, not the IP address. In your example,
www.somesite.com as an A record that says 12.12.12.12, and you need to
add an identical A record to somesite.com.

[I'm putting www-talk back on the CC list. Please keep replies on the
list only and don't CC me. Thank you.]

/Jonas