Re: URL Naming and DNS...

From: Matthew D. Fuller <fullermd@over-yonder.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 08:55:32 -0500
To: Jonas J?rgensen <jonasj@jonasj.dk>
Cc: www-talk@w3.org

On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 03:42:15PM +0200 I heard the voice of
Jonas J?rgensen, and lo! it spake thus:

> Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
> >
> >Or perhaps their configuration IS fixed, and they see no reason why the
> >bare domain should have any relation to a host at all, to say nothing of
> >one running HTTP services.
>
> That's a possibility, of course.

In fairness, it should be noted that at time when I've adminned hosting
business, I always put in A records for both the bare domain and www, and
config the web server to match; simple because The People (tm) at large
somewhere along the line latched onto the idea that a domain is nothing
but a name for a webpage (well, sometimes it's a name for email too).

But on my personal stuff, I still take the opportunity to use a
hierarchical namespace like it's a hierarchical namespace.

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd@over-yonder.net