Re: aborting big file requests

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 06:02:52PM +0530, Diwakar Shetty wrote:

> Suppose a client has requested for page.
> The page is a big file
>
> Before the whole response has come, client wants to indicate to server that it is no more interested in the data.
>
> At the same time, I do not want the TCP connection to be closed.
> Since I want to make use of Keep-Alive and keep the TCp connection alive
>
> How can I do it ?

I haven't checked the specs but I don't think HTTP supports this at all.

What it does support is the HEAD method: you can ask for just the headers
of a document.  The headers include its content length.  Most servers
support it - but it won't work on many dynamically generated documents
or on POST results.

> Can sending "Connection:close" do the job ?
> But I guess it will tear down the "Keep-Alive" connection in HTTP/1.1

Yes.

> Am not sure about its behaviour in HTTP 1.0

In HTTP 1.0 the connection isn't kept alive anyway.

> Thanks
> Diwakar
Reinier