Re: Signing Document and PICS

From: Simon St.Laurent <simonstl@simonstl.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 23:56:27 -0400
To: www-talk@w3.org
At 05:25 PM 4/6/01 -0700, Russell O'Connor wrote:
>Section 7.7 of the RDF specfication says to drop RDF in the head of an
>HTML document. <http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-rdf-syntax/>
>I don't get it, the result isn't HTML.  Why would the recommend such a
>thing.  It makes me feel sick to my stomach.

They qualify it:
 >RDF, being well-formed XML, is suitable for direct inclusion in an HTML
 >document when the user agent follows the HTML recommendations for error
 >handling in invalid documents.

That takes you to the informative (non-normative) Appendix B.1 of HTML:

And the information in B.1 is pretty severely inconsistent with the later
XHTML approach:
 >This version of XHTML provides a definition of strictly conforming
 >XHTML documents, which are restricted to tags and attributes from
 >the XHTML namespace.

There is a section which leaves open other possibilities, the much-debated
 >[See Section 3.1.2 for information on using XHTML with other namespaces,
 >for instance, to include metadata expressed in RDF within XHTML
 >The XHTML namespace may be used with other XML namespaces as per [XMLNAMES],
 >although such documents are not strictly conforming XHTML 1.0 documents as
 >defined above. Future work by W3C will address ways to specify conformance
 >for documents involving multiple namespaces.

Section 3.1.2 would probably be responsible for as many namespace
controversies as Namespaces in XML itself if it weren't for the fact that
fewer people find XHTML details a worthy topic for debate.  There have been
a number of discussions on XHTML-L about this, however.  (Archives at

I think your nausea is entirely appropriate, and hope we reach some kind of
genuine resolution about namespaces and validation in the next year or
two.  I don't see W3C XML Schemas offering much hope in this regard, though
they at least clarify a number of basic namespace and validation
issues.  It'll be a while.

Simon St.Laurent - Associate Editor, O'Reilly and Associates
XHTML: Migrating Toward XML