Re: Web Bottleneck

From: Weifeng Bao <wbao@san-jose.tt.slb.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 16:49:45 -0500 (EST)
To: jern@spaceaix.jhuapl.edu
Cc: www-talk@w3.org

Akamai (www.akamai.com) provides the caching service.   Content delivery
companies, such as yahoo, put their static but traffic intensive contents, such
as images, to akamai servers instead of hosting by themselves.   Akamai suppose
to find the nearest server to your machine and send the content to you.
Akamai doesn't "block" web usage, instead, the purpose is to accelerate the
access speed and it is how akamai makes money.