Web Bottleneck

From: Bob Jernigan <jern@spaceaix.jhuapl.edu>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 100 16:06:19 -0500 (EST)
To: www-talk@w3.org

Lately I've noticed that web pages with banners are
taking a long time to load and sometime fail. The
browser status line usually says something like

Connect: Contacting host a188.g.akamaitech.net

Using google to search for "akamaitech" turns up
1829 hits.  Seems that akamaitech has found an effective
way to block web usage.

Anyone else experiencing this?  I've had a lot of complaints
from our Intranet community.

bob jernigan
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory