Re: Enforce reloading of page when using the back-button

Grahame Grieve wrote:

> Hi Dan
>
> >Umm... I suppose there are relevant hacks; maybe even standard
> >techniques. But would you please assure us that you understand
> >how inconvenient this is for users, and that you have a darned
> >good reason for doing this, before we discuss the technical
> >details?
>
> This was discussed before on this list.

I would appreicate a pointer to the relevant part of the archive.

Is this what you're referring to?

	How to destroy cache? Huan Liu (Tue, May 26 1998)
	http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/1998May/0120.html

I see related claims of the necessity of this hack:
[[It requires
that once a user is done, he can sign out  which would bring the browser
to the first screen of the application and the following user would not
be
able to view any previous page by pressing "BACK".]]

but I don't see any justification of those claims.

> I write (or at least I
> try) full blown applications using http/html.  The fact that I
> can't tell the browser not to cache the back button is a right
> pain and it would be perfectly appropriate for me to prevent
> this for my application.

I'm afraid that this claim, without supporting justification,
does not assure me of anything.
Would you please help me understand why it is you feel that
it is "perfectly appropriate"?