Re: Enforce reloading of page when using the back-button

From: Arjun Ray <aray@q2.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 16:26:07 -0500 (EST)
To: www-talk@w3.org

On Wed, 8 Mar 2000, Grahame Grieve wrote:

> I write (or at least I try) full blown applications using
> http/html.

That's one thing...

> The fact that I can't tell the browser

...oops, that's another.

A browser is a user-agent, with more or less known capabilities (i.e.
what it can and often does on behalf of the user.).  If your "full
blown" application is not cognizant of basic browser functionality,
then the fault is not the browser's.

> not to cache the back button is a right pain

The browser is an extension of the user, not the "full blown
application" programmer.  Well, up to now anyway...

> and it would be perfectly appropriate for me to prevent this for
> my application.

<clue>The browser is *mine* to use, not *yours* to command.</clue>

You're better off rethinking your um, "full blown application".

> However this...
> >	1. Breaking or Slowing Down the Back Button
> >	[...] "
>
> suggests that it's possible. Does anyone know how?

Use the META Refresh atrocity with a pause of 0 seconds, and you
effectively kill the back button in Netscape.

  http://www.egroups.com/group/xml-dev/18414.html?

Arjun