Re: Http Version Different In Client !!

From: Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.Coar@Golux.Com>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 1999 06:15:34 -0400
To: www-talk@w3.org
Kid wrote:

> strcommand = "GET /index.html HTTP/1.1" + vbcrlf
> strcommand = strcommand + "Host: www.w3.org" + vbcrlf
> strcommand = strcommand + "Accept: */*" + vbcrlf
> strcommand = strcommand + "Accept: text/html" + vbcrlf
> strcommand = strcommand + vbcrlf

Why the two Accept fields?

> when i receive a response from remote server and read the response header
> that i receive. I see something is strange. May be i still don't know
> about this. But the HTTP version that i receive is HTTP/1.1 when i run my
> application in my house. But when i run my application in my office, The
> HTTP Version that i receive is HTTP/1.0.

My first guess would be that the server in question is
Apache (is it?  What's the value of the response Server
field?) and that your work request is going through a
proxy or otherwise getting a User-Agent field attached
that the server has been told can't handle "HTTP/1.1"
in the response.  Such as if your office request were
going through AOL.  (Due to some unpleasantness a
couple of years ago, a *lot* of Apache servers force a
1.0 response to requests coming from AOL.)
--
#ken  P-)}