URL specification: referring to the current directory.

From: Glen Monks <lisgm@ukoln.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 16:45:18 +0100 (BST)
To: www-talk@w3.org
Hi,

Could someone refer me to the URL of the current HTTP URL specifiction
RFC.  My question may be answered there, but I will ask it anyway:

We use "intro.html" as our default page for each directory.  So, in one
directory I may refer to the relative URL href="sub-dir/" to get the file
"sub-dir/intro.html"

When in that directory, I can use a relative URL href="file1.html" to get
to that file in the same directory.

My problem is this - how do I refer to the default file "intro.html" while
in the same directory without having to name it explicitly.  Is href="./"
valid, or even just href="."?  I expect it is *supported* but that's not
the point.

The reason we don't want to explicilty name the file "intro.html" is quite
a valid one:  Many indexing/searching programs *assume* that the reference
href="sub-dir/" means "sub-dir/index.html" and so will take
"sub-dir/intro.html" as a different file, mis-indexing us.

Please reply to me and I will summarise to the list.

Glen

Glen Monks, UKOLN, http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/~lisgm/ 01225-826450