Compressing HTML

From: Andrew Daviel <andrew@andrew.triumf.ca>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 00:28:38 -0700 (PDT)
To: www-talk@w3.org
I just wondered what if anything had happened to the idea of compressing
HTML. On my Unix server with Unix Netscape I can serve a regular 123kb
file, or the same one with Content-encoding: x-gzip at 3268 bytes.
On Windows it doesn't work.
I believe that gzip is required for compliant VRML viewers, and there
is certainly a gzip binary for Win.x.
Although many last-mile links like 28.8 modems use compression
I believe that most backbone links, proxy cache etc. do not, so
it would seem to be a useful feature.

Is there some other scheme (Zip ?) that is supported in Windows ?

Andrew Daviel
TRIUMF & Vancouver Webpages