Re: GIF files

From: Joel N. Weber II <nemo@koa.iolani.honolulu.hi.us>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 1997 18:47:10 -1000 (HST)
To: sini@netsurf.org
cc: www-talk@www10.w3.org
On Thu, 9 Jan 1997, Jean Sini wrote:

> on this socket. But the output I get back from the server is a corrupted
> file, although the response-header is ok. The output is shorter than the
> size announced by the header, and some bytes are different.

I can't tell exactly what you're doing, but there's a good chance
something is expecting a text file, and trying to convert it to a text
file in the format used by the platform you're on.  Probably bytes
containing 10 and 13 are getting corrupted, if it really is a text file
conversion problem.

GIF files should never be converted the way text files are, though many
braindead web tools try to convert them during file transfers.  IMHO, the
Right Way is to handle all three popular text file formats in the part of
the program that parses text.

nemo
                                                 http://www.cyclic.com/~nemo
<nemo@koa.iolani.honolulu.hi.us>                    <devnull@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
"...For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."  -- Mathew 9:13