Re: Proxy and loopback addresses

From: Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 20:04:13 +0100 (MET)
To: Peter.Sylvester@EdelWeb.fr (Peter Sylvester)
Cc: www-talk@w3.org, ps@EdelWeb.fr
> Hello,
>
> I wonder if someone can tell me what browsers are supposed to do with
>
>   http://127.0.0.1/...
>
> and whether someone can tell me what browsers actually do.
>
> If you have a proxy it seems to me that most of them (if not all) access
> that "host" through the proxy (unless one EXPLICITELY configures
> them not to do so).

and at least some resolve any hostname locally, so if you are on
host.your.net and ask for http://www/someurl to proxy.some.net the
thing serves you http://www.some.net/someurl instead of
http://www.your.net/someurl as you would get if not using a proxy.
I don't know who should add the proper suffixes to a hostname, if
the client or the proxy.

	Luigi