Proxy and loopback addresses

From: Peter Sylvester <Peter.Sylvester@EdelWeb.fr>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 20:26:21 +0100
To: www-talk@w3.org
Cc: ps@EdelWeb.fr
Hello,

I wonder if someone can tell me what browsers are supposed to do with

  http://127.0.0.1/...

and whether someone can tell me what browsers actually do.

If you have a proxy it seems to me that most of them (if not all) access
that "host" through the proxy (unless one EXPLICITELY configures
them not to do so).

On page 31 of RFC 1122 someone tells

    (g)  { 127, <any> }

         Internal host loopback address.  Addresses of this form
         MUST NOT appear outside a host.

Needless to say that some TCP stacks do not support a loop back
address, but that is another story.

Peter Sylvester -- Edelweb France