Re: HTTP header suggestion/request

From: MegaZone <megazone@livingston.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 1996 20:33:22 -0800 (PST)
To: masinter@parc.xerox.com (Larry Masinter)
Cc: kdyer@draper.com, www-talk@w3.org, koen@win.tue.nl, megazone@livingston.com, rens@century.com, sdorner@qualcomm.com
Once upon a time Larry Masinter shaped the electrons to say...
>While I support using 'content-disposition' to suggest a file name,
>the ultimate choice of the file type & extension should be determined
>by using the Content-Type, not the suggested name.

What about 'application/octet-stream' - which is used a great deal to
download binary source, which much of the time is not an executable file.
There is no safe assumption with this Content-Type:

You can develop a complex interrelation - when does Content-Type take
precedence, when does Content-Disposition?

-MZ
Phone: 800-458-9966 510-426-0770 FAX: 510-426-8951 megazone@livingston.com
Snail mail: 6920 Koll Center Parkway  #220, Pleasanton, CA 94566