Re: HTTP header suggestion/request

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 1996 11:20:44 PST
To: kdyer@draper.com
CC: kdyer@draper.com, www-talk@w3.org, koen@win.tue.nl, megazone@livingston.com, rens@century.com, sdorner@qualcomm.com
# IMHO Larry's right.  More documents are being downloaded indirectly via
# scripts or server modules every week.  There needs to be a method by
# which the server or an agent can instruct a UA to save a certain filename
# with the correct filetype and ask the user if he/she wants to view it.
# RFC 1806 has such a structure and is one I believe belongs in HTTP/1.x.

Wait!

While I support using 'content-disposition' to suggest a file name,
the ultimate choice of the file type & extension should be determined
by using the Content-Type, not the suggested name.

Larry