Re: URL schemes containing +, -, or .

From: Paul Phillips <paulp@cerf.net>
Date: Sun, 12 May 1996 11:26:08 -0700 (PDT)
To: "William F. Hammond" <hammond@csc.albany.edu>
Cc: martin@mrrl.lut.ac.uk, www-talk@w3.org

On Sun, 12 May 1996, William F. Hammond wrote:

> As the number of schemes that we want to be a part of the Web
> increases, it becomes increasingly unreasonable not to have
> user-configurable external handler applications for the various
> schemes just as most browsers now permit the user to configure
> external viewing applications by mimetype.
>
> Has anyone actually provided for external handlers?

The alpha release of Hotjava did; haven't looked at the beta.  See
<URL:http://java.sun.com/java.sun.com/doc/alphaHandlerDoc/alphaProtocol/>
for an example.  When Java was first released this was touted as a major
feature, but it apparently hasn't caught on.  Excerpt from an archived
message from Arthur van Hoff to java-interest, October 1995:

  > Has anyone gotten a content or protocol handler running under the JDK,
  > particularly with Netscape. Does Netscape support Java-based content and
  > protocol handlers?

  Netscape won't support protocol handlers as part of their 2.0 releases.

Grail does too; haven't used it either, but see
<URL:http://monty.cnri.reston.va.us/grail/info/extending/ext_proto.html>
I'm sure there are more.

--
Paul Phillips                                 | "Click _here_ if you do not
<URL:mailto:paulp@cerf.net>                   |  have a graphical browser"