Re: URL schemes containing +, -, or .

William F. Hammond wrote:

> Has anyone actually provided for external handlers?
>
> Is anyone thinking about it?

When I originally wrote my browser, all protocol modules were external
(including http!), and in effect, the "browser" was an "HTML viewer".
This worked OK until I needed a tighter coupling in order to provide
most sophisticated feedback from the fetcher to the browser for
progressive rendering etc., since it was not possible for the fetchers and
the browser to co-operate fully enough by sharing the file handle for the
incoming data stream.

I do believe that eventually web browsers will become just a collection
of filters though, even more so that is currently the case.

--
Stewart Brodie, Electronics & Computer Science, Southampton University.
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~snb94r/      http://delenn.ecs.soton.ac.uk/