Re: createing a mSQL database with a www cgi

From: Kee Hinckley <nazgul@utopia.com>
Date: Fri, 10 May 1996 00:07:26 -0400
To: "Jason T Vincent" <Jason.T.Vincent@jpl.nasa.gov>
Cc: "www-talk@w3.org" <www-talk@w3.org> (Return requested)
At 4:43 PM  -0400 5/9/96, Jason T Vincent wrote:
>     Hey all,
>
>     I can create a database in MSQL by running  a perl cgi from the
>     command line, but once I try to run the cgi through netscape it does
>     not create the database.  My guess is that it is not being created
>     because the server thinks that user 'nobody' is trying to create the
>     database.  Is there a way to do this without creating a huge security
>     hole?

I'd recommend running your server as somebody.  Anytime you've got a server
that is going to be creating and/or modifying the system I think it's safer
to make it an actual user than make everything world-writable.  It's
certainly far more manageable.

Kee Hinckley      Utopia Inc. - Cyberspace Architects    617.768.5500
nazgul@utopia.com                               http://www.utopia.com/

everyone else's.