Re: Improve the traffic condition on the Internet

From: Stephen Turner <S.R.E.Turner@statslab.cam.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 14:46:12 +0000 (GMT)
To: www-talk@w3.org
I wrote:
->
-> I may be missing something here, but couldn't there be a way in the HTTP
-> protocol to specify that one wants the end of a file, missing off the first
-> n bytes, say? Often I find myself getting half of a long file before losing
-> the connection, and having to get the whole file again. This decreases the
-> chance of my being able to complete the retrieval and increases traffic on
-> the network. Comments?
->

Someone's pointed out to me that the HTTP/1.1 proposal includes a Range:
header to do this, although I see that that paragraph hasn't been written
in the latest draft.

--
Stephen R. E. Turner
  Stochastic Networks Group, Statistical Laboratory, University of Cambridge