Re: HTTP-NG Server & Client Mechanisms

From: Simon Spero <ses@tipper.oit.unc.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 1996 13:35:40 -0800 (PST)
To: BearHeart / Bill Weinman <bearheart@bearnet.com>
Cc: hartill@lanl.gov, ashishk@wankel.me.cmu.edu, www-talk@w3.org
On Wed, 21 Feb 1996, BearHeart / Bill Weinman wrote:

> At 11:32 pm 2/20/96 MST, Rob Hartill spake:
> >There are far too many reports which tell us how well a client talks
> >to a server that is only a few feet away... not much help unless
>    I'm confused. What does this have to do with client performance?

The issues here is not client performance so much as protocol
performance (which is often reflected in percieved client performance).
Measuring performance on a LAN often gives no indication as to how a
protocol performance will perform over a Wide Area network with vastly
inferior RTT, bandwidth, and congestion characteristics. That's why all
the HTTP-NG measurements made so far have taken place over trans and
intercontinental distances (sort of like LANL's usual tests :-)

Just because it works on an ethernet on Castro Street doesn't mean
it'll work on the internet.

They say in  online country             So which side are you on boys
There is no middle way                  Which side are you on
You'll either be a Usenet man           Which side are you on boys
Or a thug for the CDA                   Which side are you on?
  National Union of Computer Operatives; Hackers, local 37   APL-CPIO