CGI & Location

From: David Robinson <drtr1@cus.cam.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 96 13:47 GMT
To: www-talk@w3.org
What should a server do if a script returns

Location: /an/otherfile
Myheader: value

should it
a) ignore the Myheader, and simply act as if /an/otherfile was requested
b) return /an/otherfile but add the Myheader header?

If b), should the headers added by the script take precedence over headers
appropriate for the new document?

Apache and NCSA <= 1.3 do (a). I have heard a rumour that NCSA 1.5 does (b).
I receiveda request from a user who wants Apache to do (b) so that he
can add netscape 'Window-Target:' headers to the servers respose.

I'd appreciate any input so that I can get a concensus to settle this point
for the CGI specification.

 David Robinson.

Ref: draft-robinson-www-interface-00.txt available via
<URL:http://www.ast.cam.ac.uk/%7Edrtr/cgi.html>