Re: URL Expansion proposal

From: BearHeart / Bill Weinman <bearheart@bearnet.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 1996 13:53:24 -0600
To: www-talk@w3.org
At 11:14 pm 1/13/96 -0700, Israel del Rio spake:
>I do not think the question is whether people can learn the meaning
>of the URL, I just find it it morally abhorrent to force grandma or

   And you don't find it "morally abhorrent" (gads!) to force an
entire international networking community to conform to a new standard
just to make American advertisers' job a skosh easier.

>grandpa to understand what, in the end, are UNIX file system conventions.

   What's unixish about "http://www.yahoo.com/"? I'm confused here.

   I don't see that there's any problem to be solved here. Businesses
appear perfectly happy to put the technical-looking "http://www.foo.com/"
in their ads, and Ma & Pa Kettle seem perfectly willing to type it into
their Cray-VII Notebook computers. Where's the problem?