It's the gnomes (Was: Re: URL Expansion proposal)

From: William F. Hammond <hammond@csc.albany.edu>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 1996 15:59:57 -0500 (EST)
To: www-talk@w3.org
Cc: bearheart@bearnet.com
Previously on www-talk@w3.org:

: >grandpa to understand what, in the end, are UNIX file system conventions.
:
:    What's unixish about "http://www.yahoo.com/"? I'm confused here.

Ummm... would  "http:\www.yahoo.com\" be less Unix-ish.    8-))

Rather than attribute URL syntax to the Unix masters perhaps one
should point to the "gnomes of Zurich" (cf. Adam Smith's "The
Money Game" ca. 1968).      8-)

:    I don't see that there's any problem to be solved here. Businesses
: appear perfectly happy to put the technical-looking "http://www.foo.com/"
: in their ads, and Ma & Pa Kettle seem perfectly willing to type it into
: their Cray-VII Notebook computers. Where's the problem?

Haven't I seen a billboard both in Calfornia and in New York with
nothing but the URL for a major bank?  Clearly, URLs have become
status symbols.

                               :-)

                               -- Bill