.dvi-files and Netscape

From: Steffen Brose <Steffen.Brose@hrz.tu-chemnitz.de>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 1995 17:35:27 +0200 (MET DST)
To: www-talk@w3.org
Cc: Steffen Brose <Steffen.Brose@hrz.tu-chemnitz.de>

Hi,
I've some problems with .dvi-files in Netscape:
If I send a request to get such a file via http then all is o.k., but if
I try to get the same file via file-URL then the result consits of some
peculiar characters.
I think my mailcap entry's o.k. because if I perform the same operation
with the Mosaic browser (2.5) then I get the correct result: the viewer
for .dvi-files starts (xdvi) and shows me the contents of the file !
Therefore the file's found and shown in the right manner.
This's my mailcap entry:
application/xdvi; xdisplaygizmo xdvi %s

B.t.w., I use Netscape 1.1N. Does a difference exist between the http and
file (FTP) protocol for Netscape If I want to get a .dvi file ?!

Perhaps, someone could give me an explanation for this behaviour. Many
thanks in advance
				Steffen.
|   Steffen Brose, SysAdmin, Chemnitz University of Technology, Germany  |
|   Phone: +49 (0)371 531 1525    ----    Email: stb@hrz.tu-chemnitz.de  |