Re: .dvi-files and Netscape

From: lilley <lilley@afs.mcc.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 1995 17:32:40 +0100 (BST)
To: Steffen.Brose@hrz.tu-chemnitz.de (Steffen Brose)
Cc: www-talk@w3.org, Steffen.Brose@hrz.tu-chemnitz.de

> I've some problems with .dvi-files in Netscape:
> If I send a request to get such a file via http then all is o.k., but if
> I try to get the same file via file-URL then the result consits of some
> peculiar characters.

Later he askes:

> Does a difference exist between the http and  file (FTP) protocol
for Netscape

Netscape is just a browser. It doesn;t affect the protocols used, which
are the sane for all browsers.

But yes, there is a difference between HTTP and FTP; FTP does not provide
a MIME type. So the client has to guess from the filename.

> This's my mailcap entry:
> application/xdvi; xdisplaygizmo xdvi %s

That should be application/x-dvi not /xdvi

Fine, but there is no MIME type being sent so you need a .mime.types
file to tell the client how to guess MIME types from filenames. Create
one containing this line:

application/x-dvi      dvi

--
Chris Lilley, Technical Author
|       Manchester and North HPC Training & Education Centre        |