Re: Evolutionary question

From: Daniel W. Connolly <connolly@beach.w3.org>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 1995 17:35:59 -0500
To: holtrf@destinyusa.com (Russell Holt)
Cc: www-talk@w3.org
In message <v01510101acd7f50e55a9@[204.120.87.12]>, Russell Holt writes:

>These days, the term "World Wide Web" refers to what exactly?

Excerpt from: http://www.w3.org/ :

	The World Wide Web is the universe of network-accessible
	information.

Also, http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/WWW/
	"About The World Wide Web"

	The World Wide Web (W3) is the universe of
	network-accessible information, an embodiment of human
	knowledge. It is an initiative started at CERN, now with many
	participants.

	It has a body of software, and a set of protocols and
	conventions. W3 uses hypertext and multimedia techniques
	to make the web easy for anyone to roam, browse, and
	contribute to.

I believe this is still an accurate assesment (sp?).

>I'm really asking about the evolution of the term - as other systems
>(ie other protocols, other GUIs to the net) evolve and integrate
>with the "Web" (it's inevitable), it seems that undoubtedly we'll use
>the term to refer to all of that.

Agreed.

Dan