Re: Evolutionary question

From: Stephen Turner <S.R.E.Turner@statslab.cam.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 1995 23:12:55 +0000 (GMT)
To: holtrf@destinyusa.com (Russell Holt)
Cc: www-talk@w3.org
Russell Holt wrote:
->
-> These days, the term "World Wide Web" refers to what exactly? The collection
-> of HTML documents accessible via the Internet? HTML docs + HTTP + CGI ?
-> (or, excuse me, "network resources")... Is "The Web" separate
-> from or an integral part of a browser's view of it?
->

FWIW, I use it to refer roughly to documents with a URL: including ftp,
gopher, and probably newsgroups. I probably wouldn't include telnet or
mailto though. I certainly wouldn't restrict to HTML or HTTP. But YMMV.

--
Stephen R. E. Turner
  Stochastic Networks Group, Statistical Laboratory, University of Cambridge