Re: Variants support in the latest HTTP 1.0 Draft.

From: lilley <lilley@afs.mcc.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 1995 15:37:33 +0000 (GMT)
To: cvr@frontiertech.com
Cc: www-talk@w3.org, timbl@w3.org, fielding@ics.uci.edu, frystyk@w3.org, web@ns.frontiertech.co
cvr said:

> I have a couple of questions on the support for variants in the latest
> HTTP Specs.
>
> 1. How does a client request the right variant from the servers?
> In the earlier specs of HTTP there used to be Accept: headers that
> would tell a server which kind of varint the client is interested -- by
> requesting desired Media-Type that included a charset, Language and/or
> Encoding.
> I am not clear why the Accept header and the Content Negotiation
> Algorithm are dropped from the latest specs?

They are not dropped from the *latest* spec. They have just moved. Look in
the HTTP 1.1 spec to find this sort of stuff. HTTP/1.0 spec describes best
current practice, ie what works now. HTTP/1.1 describes stuff like
Accept-Language which some servers (Apache) have started supporting.

--
Chris Lilley, Technical Author and JISC representative to W3C
|       Manchester and North HPC Training & Education Centre        |