Re: Byte ranges -- formal spec proposal

From: Darren New <dnew@sgf.fv.com>
Date: Fri, 26 May 1995 08:40:29 +0100
To: Marc VanHeyningen <marcvh@spry.com>
Cc: Multiple recipients of list <www-talk@www10.w3.org>
> Well, the most common format, audio/basic, has header information which
> contains magic numbers and the Hz and stuff like that, and technically is
> not a legal audio/basic file without them, though many players will tolerate
> this.  I would put this in the same category as HTML; arbitrary segments
> probably are not legal, but viewers might be able to tolerate them.

Huh?  Audio/basic is what ISDN uses.  It has no headers at all.

>From RFC1521:
   The content of the "audio/basic" subtype is audio encoded using 8-bit
   ISDN mu-law [PCM].  When this subtype is present, a sample rate of
   8000 Hz and a single channel is assumed.

If this doesn't mean the format is "raw", please let me know where the
headers are defined.  --Darren