Expires non-compliance

From: Jared Rhine <Jared_Rhine@hmc.edu>
Date: Tue, 9 May 1995 23:56:54 -0700
To: Rainer Klute <klute@nads.de>
Cc: Multiple recipients of list <www-talk@www10.w3.org>
[Citation date: Tue, 09 May 1995 10:30:57 +0200]
RK == Rainer Klute <klute@nads.de>

  JRhine> Unfortunately, my tests indicate that Netscape doesn't handle the
  JRhine> Expires header properly :(

  RK> Not to defend Netscape against anything, but is there a client at all
  RK> that handles Expires properly? Not even the CERN proxy does.

I believe Emacs-w3 does, but I'd have to run some more exhaustive tests,
since when I found out Netscape's behavior, I had to resort to other means
besides Expires.  I would note that section 7.1.8 of
draft-ietf-http-v10-spec-00 states:

   Caching clients (including proxies) must not cache this copy of the
   resource beyond the date given, unless its status has been updated by a
   later check of the origin server.

The key word is "must"; caching clients that do not handle the Expires
header are non-compliant HTTP applications (well, granted that the standard
is only a draft, but it's all we've got).

--
Jared_Rhine@hmc.edu / HMC / <URL:http://www.hmc.edu/~jared/home>

"One cannot mark the point without marking the path."