Re: Simple Vector file format for Web?

From: Steve Waterbury <waterbug@epims1.gsfc.nasa.gov>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 1995 09:10:51 -0400
To: psheerin@best.com, burchard@geom.umn.edu
Cc: gtn@ebt.com, html-wg@oclc.org, www-talk@www10.w3.org, parks@eeel.nist.gov

> >I'm not talking about just one more graphics format, as in PNG, JPEG,
> >etc., but a vector (or combined vector/raster) format which can include
> >hyperlinks attached to areas or vectors (or perhaps even embedded text).
>
> Yes, and I have heard of various groups defining such extensions to
> CGM, but have yet to hear anything, WWW related or not.

I think IGES may be closer to an http hyperlinking
capability than CGM is.  IGES, a widely used standard
for CAD file exchange, is also in the process of being
registered as a MIME type.  I don't know if there are any
PD IGES browsers on the way, but there are several commercial
ones (which probably don't yet handle http hyperlinking).

> The real problem is not HTML, but implementation of modular browsers.

... or just other browsers with http linking capability,
which can "interoperate" with HTML browsers.

--Steve Waterbury.
                                           oo _\o
                                            \/\ \
                                              /
"Sometimes you're the windshield; sometimes you're the bug."
- Knopfler