Re: Simple Vector file format for Web?

From: Gavin Nicol <gtn@ebt.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 1995 07:52:05 -0400
To: psheerin@best.com
Cc: www-talk@www10.w3.org
>OK, but what does having a file type registered as a MIME type do that's
>specific to support in HTML documents?

Well, you can't officially use it until it's been registered.

>I'm not talking about just one more graphics format, as in PNG, JPEG,
>etc., but a vector (or combined vector/raster) format which can include
>hyperlinks attached to areas or vectors (or perhaps even embedded text).

Yes, and I have heard of various groups defining such extensions to
CGM, but have yet to hear anything, WWW related or not.

>Is this within the domain of the HTML-WG at all?

Not really. I think it is far *larger* than that. IETM's, for example,
would greatly benefit. As you note, with client-side image maps coming
along, we'll soon have a "standard", but it may not be what's best.