Re: session-id redux

From: James Pitkow <pitkow@cc.gatech.edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 1995 12:43:08 -0400 (EDT)
To: koen@win.tue.nl (Koen Holtman)
Cc: www-talk@w3.org

Koen:

> You didn't mention the following Con, which IMO is the most important
> one:
>
>   Session-id allows for a reliable and relatively straightforward
>   implementation of what I call a `statefull dialog' between user and
>   service, that is a dialog that extends beyond the submission of one
>   form.  By allowing statefull dialogs, session-id will greatly increase
>   the potential of the web as a two-way communications medium.

If you really want to do state the right way, use Java.  If you still want
to bootstrap state and two-way communication into HTTP, consider tweaking
HTTP's 1.0 KEEP ALIVE which NCSA's httpd now supports, &/or the new IETF
proposal [1].  Regardless,it might be contructive to use the draft as a
stepping stone to further frame proposals to this discussion.

Jim.

[1] http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/http/draft-ietf-http-ses-ext-00.txt