Re: session-id redux

From: Darren New <dnew@sgf.fv.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 1995 12:04:56 +0100
To: "Daniel W. Connolly" <connolly@beach.w3.org>
Cc: Koen Holtman <koen@win.tue.nl>, Brian Behlendorf <brian@organic.com>, www-talk@www10.w3.org
> If your application requires a "stateful dialog" between client and
> server, clearly there are interactions with caching: the if a request
> for resource R is made first with dialog identifier X and subsequently
> with dialog identifier Y, a proxy must not satisfy the second request
> with a cached response from the first request.

Personally, I don't see the problem with making such an identifier part
of the URL. I do it all the time (via http://..../blah?state=XXX) and it
works just fine. No problems with caches, etc. It turns out to be a real
pain and break lots of browsers if you have a URL that points to
different documents at different (closely spaced) times.

   --Darren