Re: File Types

From: Paul Phillips <paulp@cerf.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 1995 14:24:34 -0700 (PDT)
To: Brian Behlendorf <brian@organic.com>
Cc: Eric Hausgaard <eric@unix2.nysed.gov>, Multiple recipients of list <www-talk@www19.w3.org>

On Fri, 14 Jul 1995, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> I think what you really want to do on the server side is make sure the
> wordperfect files have a MIME type like
>
> application/x-wordperfect
>
> or something like that (anyone?)

NCSA httpd's stock mime.types has application/wordperfect5.1, which I
suppose is as much of a "standard" as anything.  Makes it rather painful
to support multiple versions, I'd think.  My reading of the http spec
says that

  Accept: application/wordperfect*

is illegal syntax, which doesn't infuse me with confidence that this is
being addressed consistently.  On another note: I know next to nothing about
Wordperfect, but does it allow any kind of key binding? It's rather
sketchy to download files from untrusted sources into applications not
built with the concept of trust in mind.

--
Paul Phillips                                 EMAIL: paulp@cerf.net
WWW: http://www.primus.com/staff/paulp/       PHONE: (619) 220-0850