Sorry for interjecting, but this has been on my mind for a while and
thought I should share it, in hope of getting some clarity.

Could Web Crypto API be used in a symmetric way where the content provider
and user exchange public keys (e.g. upon user registration) and they simply
use each other's keys to encrypt NOT EVERY request and response but only
the parts of the content being exchanged in both directions that has
sensitive information? Is it conceivable that when Web Crypto is available
on all major browsers that we could see application-level security that is
less costly on the servers than encrypting every request and response? But
more importantly, would that be more secure than HTTPS in that it will be
immune to MITM attacks?