Re: DRM, EDE, CDM, W3C and the TAG: Is <object classid="[flash]"...> the relevant precedent?

On Wednesday 2013-10-23 13:37 +0300, Henri Sivonen wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 8:41 PM, Henry S. Thompson <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
> > 4) It seems very unlikely that content providers intending to make use
> >    of strong DRM protection for their content will provide opensource
> >    implementations of their CDMs.
>
> It's not the content providers' CDMs. The EME CDMs shipped so far are
> proprietary to Microsoft and Google--not to Netflix or the studios.
> (It's unclear if you used "content providers" to refer to sites that
> provide content to users or to the copyright holders of provide
> content to the sites.)

Additionally (to Henry's point), I think it's worth noting that not
only does it seem unlikely that there will be open-source CDMs, but
it also seems unlikely that there will be pluggable/plugin CDMs.  In
other words, it seems unlikely that CDMs will be available as
libraries that can be dropped in to any browser (like NPAPI
plugins), but instead seems like CDMs will be built-in to browsers
as a proprietary component of those browsers.

-David

             Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
             What I was walling in or walling out,
             And to whom I was like to give offense.