Re: Atom vs Polyglot

From: Karl Dubost <karl@la-grange.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 15:07:42 -0400
Cc: "Edward O'Connor" <eoconnor@apple.com>, www-tag@w3.org
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>

Le 22 mars 2013 à 12:56, Julian Reschke a écrit :
> On 2013-03-22 17:25, Edward O'Connor wrote:
>> Indeed: http://microformats.org/wiki/hatom
>
> Apparently written down ~3 years ago. Does anybody use that? Are there aggregators understanding it?

because no major readers (that I know) implement it. I'm not sure it really answers all use cases that people have. There are Pros and Cons. I wonder if there are surveys which have been done on the way feeds are used out there

* Blog posts, comments, blog posts + comments, etc.
* formats (atom, rss2, rss 1.0)
* type of elements used in the feeds
* caching issues associated with them
* full posts or truncated.
* etc. etc.

And if you need a list of all the issues which are met by Feed readers/aggregators implementers see
http://inessential.com/2013/03/18/brians_stupid_feed_tricks

As usual, XML is largely broken out there. :/

--
Karl Dubost
http://www.la-grange.net/karl/