Re: Atom vs Polyglot

From: Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 09:58:43 +0100
To: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
CC: "www-tag@w3.org List" <www-tag@w3.org>
On 22/03/2013 01:15 , Larry Masinter wrote:
> I don't have any problem with ATOM today. However, I think the
> community is facing a transition from XML to JSON as a preferred
> method of language-independent exchange of structured data. If ATOM
> were to be designed today -- carrying metadata and control structures
> (about content) and also carrying marked up rich text, I'd look for a
> protocol that used JSON for the structured data and HTML for the
> marked up or active next.

I don't know that there's a pressing need for such a redesign, but were
I to look into that, I'd likely actually prefer a format that doesn't
require me to publish the same information twice, as is often the case
today. Instead I'd look for annotation on HTML that could provide it
with Atom semantics. It really wouldn't require much.