RE: Atom vs Polyglot

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 17:15:07 -0700
To: "julian.reschke@gmx.de" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
CC: Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>, Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org>, Alex Russell <slightlyoff@google.com>, "www-tag@w3.org List" <www-tag@w3.org>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
I don't have any problem with ATOM today. However, I think the community is facing a transition from XML to JSON as a preferred method of language-independent exchange of structured data. If ATOM were to be designed today -- carrying metadata and control structures (about content) and also carrying marked up rich text, I'd look for a protocol that used JSON for the structured data and HTML for the marked up or active next.

Probably there needs to also be  a normative reference for "HTML suitable for embedding" (such as in email or included content) which also could be used for something ATOM-like using the technologies du jour.