Re: Polyglot: the final thread?

On Tuesday, March 12, 2013, Larry Masinter wrote:

>  I think polyglot is a general important technique for transitioning
> languages, interfaces and protocols, and the TAG could do most good by
> understanding and explaining it.

There is a group that is documenting it. What will the TAG add to this
discussion? Are you proposing work in this area?

> Whenever you need to transition a one-to-many system without a flag day, t
> you need polyglot or a variant to allow the transition.

This is, again, analogous to the comment hacks I've used in a past life to
embed valid XML in valid JS (parsing as JS when fed to a browser and XML
when fed to an XSLT processor). It may exist, and may have value for some
users, but its importance seems a question to be asked and answered with
data. What incentives are at play? How often do users do this in the wild?

A concrete way to answer this might be to scan, say, the top million web
pages on a periodic basis and attempt to determine the % that are polyglot
and note the direction of that value over time. A double-parsing
script/crawler would not be hard or expensive to write should someone want
to convince the current TAG membership that this is worth starting new work
on.