Re: Polyglot: the final thread?

From: Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 12:08:38 +0100
To: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
CC: Alex Russell <slightlyoff@google.com>, "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
On 13/03/2013 03:14 , Larry Masinter wrote:
> I think polyglot is a general important technique for transitioning
> languages, interfaces and protocols, and the TAG could do most good by
> understanding and explaining it.

There is no doubt that there are useful techniques for language
evolution, and that mutually intelligible subsets is an important tool
for language evolution in a massively distributed system, where version
indicators cannot hope to work.

But that's a general discussion on versioning (for which I believe the
TAG still has an open issue…). It has little to do with how the HTML WG
should pursue polyglot.