Re: Revisiting Authoritative Metadata (was: The failure of Appendix C as a transition technique)

On 3/2/2013 7:26 PM, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> Martin was asking about
> being able to force plain text rendering of content that looks like HTML

When I've given talks about authoritative metadata, I use an example
exactly like this, except it happens to be focused on XML. To make the
example easy to understand, I've put up a little demo Web site at:

http://webarch.noahdemo.com/Metadata/

has some no-longer interesting references to IE6, but what's important is
that modern browsers, including IE, do honor the authoritative metadata for
the text/plain transmission.

If text/plain is sniffed, then any legitimate content that would trigger
the sniffing just can't be transmitted in the natural way on the Web.
Indeed, someone building a text/plain application like the one in the demo
would have to take care to avoid sending any streams that could trigger
unintended sniffing.

Noah