Re: Revisiting Authoritative Metadata

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2013 02:05:33 +0100
To: Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org>
Cc: "www-tag@w3.org List" <www-tag@w3.org>
* Robin Berjon wrote:
>I don't believe that we can fix what we already have (at least, it would
>be very very hard). But we can prevent the issues from propagating
>further by recommending some form of magic number for new data formats.

If you are into magic numbers, you will know RIFF and FourCC codes. RIFF
is a container format used for various Microsoft multimedia formats like
WAV and AVI with various other uses and derivatives. The magic number is
"RIFF" encoded using US-ASCII at the beginning of a file. Making "WebP",
Google felt that using RIFF as container format is a good idea.

  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2011Mar/0002.html

As far as I am aware, Google failed to understand and implement RIFF as
specified and you cannot actually parse and generate "WebP" images as if
they were RIFF containers. This kind of screw-up (if it is indeed one,
my analysis may well be incorrect) is perfectly normal and expected, and
it's not hard to come up with all sorts of similar problems, like people
re-using GUIDs when they should not, in all sorts of contexts.