Re: Scope of W3C recommendations; core issue for polyglot & DRM

From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 14:07:37 -0500
To: www-tag@w3.org
On 1/28/13 1:40 PM, Noah Mendelsohn wrote:
> Possibly, and if so I apologize. I confess that I've only found the
> time to read selected posts, but it seemed to me that Larry's note and
> various notes including yours together raised the questions: "is it
> appropriate for the TAG to devote energy to W3C technologies that
> would only see significant use in closed environments", and and if
> that's so, "is XML such a technology"?  I was responding to the 2nd
> point: I believe that XML is an example of a technology that does
> remain widely used on the open Web as well as in more closed
> environments, and for which there are significant synergies.
Put differently, XML usage and relevance (at broad Web-scale) is on the
decline. Thus, its status within W3C has to factor in this reality.

Web Developers, as Web a user constituency, are moving away from XML.
Thus, squeezing XML into places where it doesn't belong only leads to
unnecessary problems.

XML can stand alone, distinct from HTML.

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software
Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com