Re: Scope of W3C recommendations; core issue for polyglot & DRM

On 1/28/13 1:40 PM, Noah Mendelsohn wrote:
> Possibly, and if so I apologize. I confess that I've only found the
> time to read selected posts, but it seemed to me that Larry's note and
> various notes including yours together raised the questions: "is it
> appropriate for the TAG to devote energy to W3C technologies that
> would only see significant use in closed environments", and and if
> that's so, "is XML such a technology"?  I was responding to the 2nd
> point: I believe that XML is an example of a technology that does
> remain widely used on the open Web as well as in more closed
> environments, and for which there are significant synergies.
Put differently, XML usage and relevance (at broad Web-scale) is on the
decline. Thus, its status within W3C has to factor in this reality.

Web Developers, as Web a user constituency, are moving away from XML.
Thus, squeezing XML into places where it doesn't belong only leads to
unnecessary problems.

XML can stand alone, distinct from HTML.

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO